[one-users] Improving openSUSE package

Jaime Melis jmelis at opennebula.org
Thu Apr 28 12:11:22 PDT 2011

Hi,
comments inline:

After recently updating the OpenNebula package in the openSUSE Build Service
> for openSUSE I am now trying to improve the package a bit and make things a
> bit more user friendly. Also I'd eventually create a mostly pre-configured
> image, but one thing at a time.
>
> That's really good news. Regarding the pre-configured image we provide a
ttylinux [1] which we use mainly for testing the environment, although if
you're looking for a proper and usable image I'd be glad to help out to
build one.

> The setup-guide http://opennebula.org/documentation:rel2.2:plan advices to
> use /srv/cloud/one as the oneadmin users home directory. However, it appears
> that /srv/cloud/one (actually /var/lib/one for SUSE) contains (needs to
> contain) scripts that launch VMs on the cluster. This directory also gets
> exported to cluster nodes.
>
> I think these scripts should still owned by root, while the oneadmin users
> home directory should be owned by oneadmin. Thus IMHO this would set up a
> somewhat unconventional owner ship strcuture where scripts inside oneadmin's
> home directory are owned by root.

Well, actually /srv/cloud/one is our recommended path for ONE_LOCATION in
self-contained installation, and /var/lib/one for system-wide installations.
Since packages are always system-wide, ONE_LOCATION should in fact be
/var/lib/one (see bottom of this document [2]).

The scripts that manage the VMs are placed in /var/lib/one/remotes and they
should definetly belong to the oneadmin user, since oneadmin needs to be
able to modify them. These scripts are later sync'd over to all the hosts by
OpenNebula.

There is an exact copy (more accurately a backup) of those remote scripts in
/usr/lib/one/remotes, but those should belong to root. They just sit there
as a backup. If the oneadmin user accidentally loses or changes those remote
scripts he should be able to recover them quickly by copying them back to
/var/lib/one/remotes from /usr/lib/one/remotes.

> I guess there are two approaches, 1.) separate the oneadmin's home
> directory from the directory that contains the scripts (any harm in that?)
> or 2.) let oneadmin own the scripts (any harm in that?)

So answering your question, definitely option 2: oneadmin should own
everything placed under /var/lib/one.

Hope this helps, and please let us know if you need more help with the
openSUSE package.

[1] http://dev.opennebula.org/attachments/download/355/ttylinux.tar.gz
[2] http://opennebula.org/documentation:rel2.2:ignc

cheers,
Jaime

--
Jaime Melis, Cloud Technology Engineer/Researcher
Major Contributor
www.OpenNebula.org | jmelis at opennebula.org