[one-users] Improving openSUSE package

Robert Schweikert rschweikert at novell.com
Thu Apr 28 08:24:32 PDT 2011

Hi,

After recently updating the OpenNebula package in the openSUSE Build
Service for openSUSE I am now trying to improve the package a bit and
make things a bit more user friendly. Also I'd eventually create a
mostly pre-configured image, but one thing at a time.

The setup-guide http://opennebula.org/documentation:rel2.2:plan advices
to use /srv/cloud/one as the oneadmin users home directory. However, it
appears that /srv/cloud/one (actually /var/lib/one for SUSE) contains
(needs to contain) scripts that launch VMs on the cluster. This
directory also gets exported to cluster nodes.

I think these scripts should still owned by root, while the oneadmin
users home directory should be owned by oneadmin. Thus IMHO this would
set up a somewhat unconventional owner ship strcuture where scripts
inside oneadmin's home directory are owned by root.

I guess there are two approaches, 1.) separate the oneadmin's home
directory from the directory that contains the scripts (any harm in
that?) or 2.) let oneadmin own the scripts (any harm in that?)

Thanks,
Robert

Tech Lead
rschweikert at novell.com