[one-users] VM is not saved upon shutdown

Thedward Blevins thedward at barsoom.net
Tue Apr 5 14:03:26 PDT 2011

On Tue, Apr 5, 2011 at 07:49, Pieter Simoens
<pieter.simoens at intec.ugent.be> wrote:
> I will try your suggestion with the
> saveas. However, there is something I do
> not understand. In your VM template, you
> can add to the DISK section a parameter
> "SAVE". I have set this parameter (as it is
> by default on "no"), and now I see in my
> $ONE_LOCATION/var/VM_ID/transfer.0.epilog
> indeed a MV command, to transfer the
> image on the cluster node back to the
> VM_DIR on the frontend node. However,
> this is immediately followed by a DELETE
> command for this VM_DIR on my frontend.
> So, it is actually copied, but then
> immediately deleted. I do not understand
> this behaviour?

Does the `DISK` value in your template file
use the `IMAGE` parameter or the `SOURCE`
parameter? The behaviour I described is the
expected behaviour the image catalog (as
using the `IMAGE` parameter would indicate).
I am less familiar with how things work when
using a disk file directly.

> How can I configure my desired behaviour,
> which is as follows - I create a VM, based
> on a disk image (.qcow2) that is on the
> frontend - a clone is transferred to the
> cluster node (note that these two steps are
> currently working correctly) - when I do
> "onevm shutdown", I want the running image
> to be stopped, and transferred back to my
> frontend node. I want this image to remain
> in the "onevm list a" output. Then, I want
> to be able to restart my modified image,
> e.g. by "onevm resume" or something.

Instead of `onevm shutdown`, try `onevm
stop`. I think that might get you the
behaviour you are looking for.