[one-users] VM is not saved upon shutdown

Carlos Martín Sánchez cmartin at opennebula.org
Tue Apr 5 05:49:34 PDT 2011

Hi Pieter, please find my comments inline:

On 5 April 2011 13:42, Pieter Simoens <pieter.simoens at intec.ugent.be> wrote:

>  Dear all,
>
> I am running OpenNebula 2.0. I am able to successfully deploy a VM on a
> cluster node. The image is (currently) transferred over SSH. The VM boots
> successfully, and I am able to log-in.
>
> When I do "onevm shutdown VM_ID", the VM is correctly shut down. But it
> does no longer appear in the output of "onevm list all".

That's the normal behaviour, VMs in DONE state are not listed. However, you
can still see the extended information using 'onevm show <id>', because they
are stored in the DB for accounting purposes.

> However, as far as I can recall from my previous experiments, I thought
> that the VM image would we transferred back, somewhere to VM_DIR/VM_ID
> directory.
>
> Unfortunately, this is not happening. Does anybody has any idea what can be
> the cause? Do I need to specify any additional parameters? The log-files
> show me no specific problem (I checked the oned.log and the
> /var/VM_ID/vm.log).

Are you using the Image Repository [1]? If so, is the Image persistent?
If you are defining the DISKs in the VM templates as in previous versions,
make sure the attribute SAVE=YES is present.

> Thank you,

Regards,
Carlos.

[1] http://opennebula.org/documentation:rel2.2:img_guide