[one-users] Unknown state

Rich Wellner rkw at objenv.com
Tue Oct 26 16:08:13 PDT 2010

Hey guys,

I have monitoring turned down to a minute so that I don't have much
latency on my management while we're doing testing.  As a result, when I
do a shutdown on a vm sometimes the shutdown isn't complete before the
next monitoring update.  What ends up happening is that the state of the
machine goes from running to shutdown, then a bit later to running
again.  Finally, when the guest shutdown actually complete, the state
goes to unknow because One doesn't know why the machine disappeared.

It would be better if this race condition were handled more elegantly
and One could tolerate that the machine took a while to shutdown.  As is
a manual clean-up has to happen.  I have also confirmed that my one
minute monitor cycle only makes the problem more likely.  If, by
coincidence, someone asks One to shutdown a vm slightly before the
monitor thread kicks off, this issue shows up.  So it seems any machine
that is shutdown where timeToShutdown > timeUntilMonitorRefresh will end
up in an unknown state.

rw2