[one-users] Save VM NFS

Flávio R. C. Sousa flavio at lia.ufc.br
Thu Nov 25 14:22:19 PST 2010

Hello all,

      We are with problems to save VMs on Ubuntu Server 10.04. We are using
OpenNebula 2.0, KVM and NFS.

     The checkpoint file has to be created on shared fs. Otherwise, it's not
possible to create that because root can’t write on shared fs.

>error: Failed to save domain one-18 to /var/lib/one/18/checkpoint

>error: unable to set ownership of '/var/lib/one/18/checkpoint' to user 0:0:
Operation not permitted

      At this moment, out file '/usr/lib/one/remotes/vmm/kvm/kvmrc' has the
variable LIBVIRT_URI like this LIBVIRT_URI=qemu:///system

     On Ubuntu, connect using 'virsh' with qemu:///system means that the
root will be the ownership of the checkpoint file.

Can we configure NFS to permit write by root? I think it's not possible.

We tried to change the '/usr/lib/one/remotes/vmm/kvm/kvmrc' to use the
variable LIBVIRT_URI like LIBVIRT_URI=qemu:///session, how we found at [1].

Using like this, we had other problem:

>error: Failed to create domain from deployment.0

>error: Failed to add tap interface to bridge 'br0': Operation not permitted

We couldn’t create the VM, because, now, the virsh is being used by
oneadmin.

With VIRSH set with qemu: / / / session, can use the bridge? For example,
with some configuration of LIBVIRT?

[1]
http://lists.opennebula.org/htdig.cgi/users-opennebula.org/2009-July/000611.html

Thank you very much in advance.

Prof. Flávio R. C. Sousa
Software Engineering Coordinator
Federal University of Ceará, Quixadá, Brazil
http://www.es.ufc.br/~flavio