[one-users] OpenNebula with Clusters + KVM

KING LABS kinglabs.in at gmail.com
Thu May 27 02:07:27 PDT 2010

Hi ALL,

I am new to cloud and opennebula. I have been exploring for best possible
ways of implementing private cloud for my company.
I found opennebula interseting.

As I am new to OpenNebula I would like to know if the following use case is
possible
with OpenNebula and also request to suggest me the best way of meeting the
following requirements.

1) Clustering:  Would Like to build cluster as single aggregated resource
pool with kvm as choice of hypervisor.

example: If I am having 5 servers with 2GB RAM & 2Ghz processor .... after
clustering it should be consolidated and work as single

system with 10GB ram and 10Ghz processing power for my KVM virtualization
environment, where I can

2) Availability zones: Is it possible to isolate parts of the cloud for
speci?c pur-poses or customers.

3) Live migration: Moving a virtual machine while it is still running.
Migration of virtual machines is always possible when it is shutdown, but
there would
be a high level of ?exibility if this could be done while running

4) User management: Can users be managed and assign privileges to them. Has
the platform a graphical user interface to interact with the cloud?

5)  Fault tolerance / fail-overIs there a feature to handle failing
hardware? Running two instances of the same virtual machine (VM) on di?erent
physical servers, when one physical server fails the VM on the other server
will take over. The same can be done for physical machines by making them
redundant.

6)  ScalingCould the cloud infrastructure adapt to requests. Is it possible
to expand or shrink the resources automatically when needed or can this
easily be done by hand (Automatically shutdown or turn on virtual/physical
machines when needed).

7) Multiple Guest OS : Support for windows + linux mainly

Thanks in advance

Regards,
KINGLABS