[one-users] Survey - About Feature #189

Tino Vazquez tinova79 at gmail.com
Fri Mar 5 05:50:23 PST 2010

Hi Ettore,

We agree with you that this functionality is desirable. On the other
hand, we were always extremely concern about the separation between
providing infrastructure for running VMs and the needs of the services
running inside the VM. The ability to reference other machines in one
VM template is one example of a feature that kind of lies in the
frontier between the two.

Here are our reasons to support the dropping of the cross reference
feature (we will keep the ability to reference variables within the
same template):

* Cleaner and more robust code. Dropping this feature will reduce
considerably the probabilities of a deadlock between OpenNebula
components.

* We have in our roadmap the definition and implementation of a
service layer [1] on top of OpenNebula that will handle services at an
upper level. A service will be able to be specified using a DAG like
notation, and it will include the ability to perform cross references
with another VMs.

Any feedback on this will be welcome.

Regards,

-Tino

--
Constantino Vázquez, Grid & Virtualization Technology
Engineer/Researcher: http://www.dsa-research.org/tinova