[one-users] onevm - zombie vm

Shi Jin jinzishuai at gmail.com
Tue Mar 2 12:48:19 PST 2010

Hi Tino,

Answers inline again.
On Tue, Mar 2, 2010 at 11:28 AM, Tino Vazquez <tinova at fdi.ucm.es> wrote:
> Hi Shi Jin,
>
> Thanks a lot, we have a few more, since we still cannot figure out the problem:
>
> * Does the host get its capacity (cpu, memory) released?
I don't think so but not 100% sure.  Right now there is no other VMs
running, I have
[oneadmin at node2 one-svn-64bit]$ onehost list
  ID NAME                      RVM   TCPU   FCPU   ACPU    TMEM    FMEM STAT
  36 node2                       1   1600   1600   1600 3294948 3234368   on
[oneadmin at node2 one-svn-64bit]$ onehost show node2
HOST 36 INFORMATION
ID                    : 36
NAME                  : node2
STATE                 : MONITORED
IM_MAD                : im_kvm
VM_MAD                : vmm_kvm
TM_MAD                : tm_cow_ssh

HOST SHARES
MAX MEM               : 32949488
USED MEM (REAL)       : 5593588
USED MEM (ALLOCATED)  : 512000
MAX CPU               : 1600
USED CPU (REAL)       : 0
USED CPU (ALLOCATED)  : 25
RUNNING VMS           : 1

MONITORING INFORMATION
ARCH=x86_64
CPUSPEED=1596
FREECPU=1600.0
FREEMEMORY=32343776
HOSTNAME=node2
HYPERVISOR=kvm
MODELNAME=Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU           X5570  @ 2.93GHz
NETRX=115977029
NETTX=653083
TOTALCPU=1600
TOTALMEMORY=32949488
USEDCPU=0.0
USEDMEMORY=5593588
I think the CPU and Memory are queried for the actual system usage and
since the VM is no longer consuming any resource (there is no such KVM
process running, neither does virsh list show anything), it probably
does not really hold any CPU/RAM.

> * Can you send the output of "onevm show -x"?
[oneadmin at node2 one-svn-64bit]$ onevm show -x 7930
<VM>
  <ID>7930</ID>
  <UID>0</UID>
  <NAME>fc11AOS</NAME>
  <LAST_POLL>1267223236</LAST_POLL>
  <STATE>3</STATE>
  <LCM_STATE>15</LCM_STATE>
  <STIME>1267209261</STIME>
  <ETIME>0</ETIME>
  <DEPLOY_ID>one-7930</DEPLOY_ID>
  <MEMORY>512000</MEMORY>
  <CPU>0</CPU>
  <NET_TX>0</NET_TX>
  <NET_RX>0</NET_RX>
  <TEMPLATE>
    <CONTEXT>
      <FILES>/srv/cloud/contextScripts/Redhat/init.sh
/srv/cloud/contextScripts/Redhat/ipcontext.sh</FILES>
      <HOSTNAME>fc11AOS-7930</HOSTNAME>
      <TARGET>hdc</TARGET>
    </CONTEXT>
    <CPU>0.25</CPU>
    <DISK>
      <BUS>virtio</BUS>
      <READONLY>no</READONLY>
      <SOURCE>/srv/cloud/ImgRep/FC11AOS/Fedora-11-x86_64-AOS-sda.raw</SOURCE>
      <TARGET>sda</TARGET>
    </DISK>
    <GRAPHICS>
      <TYPE>vnc</TYPE>
    </GRAPHICS>
    <HAIZEA>
      <DURATION>01:00:00</DURATION>
      <PREEMPTIBLE>no</PREEMPTIBLE>
      <START>best_effort</START>
    </HAIZEA>
    <MEMORY>500</MEMORY>
    <NAME>fc11AOS</NAME>
    <NIC>
      <BRIDGE>br0</BRIDGE>
      <IP>192.168.1.203</IP>
      <MAC>00:00:c0:a8:01:cb</MAC>
      <NETWORK>intranet</NETWORK>
      <VNID>8</VNID>
    </NIC>
    <OS>
      <BOOT>hd</BOOT>
    </OS>
    <REQUIREMENTS>HOSTNAME=node2</REQUIREMENTS>
    <VCPU>1</VCPU>
    <VMID>7930</VMID>
  </TEMPLATE>
  <HISTORY>
    <SEQ>0</SEQ>
    <HOSTNAME>node2</HOSTNAME>
    <HID>36</HID>
    <STIME>1267209265</STIME>
    <ETIME>0</ETIME>
    <PSTIME>1267209265</PSTIME>
    <PETIME>1267209267</PETIME>
    <RSTIME>1267209267</RSTIME>
    <RETIME>0</RETIME>
    <ESTIME>0</ESTIME>
    <EETIME>0</EETIME>
    <REASON>0</REASON>
  </HISTORY>
</VM>

> * And last, but not least, we are fearing a deadlock, so we would like
> to ask if the rest of OpenNebula is working as expected (can you still
> work with VMs, create them, deploy them, stop them), with no problems,
> or there is something stuck (the TM, the IM, ...).
Yes, the rest of the system is working fine. I have created/deleted
many VMs without any problem.
The only problem I might have had is for the vnet lease where it is
already leased out but I don't recall the situation exactly.

--
Shi Jin, Ph.D.