[one-users] VM hangs in pending state with KVM

Richard Redweik richard.redweik at uni-muenster.de
Thu Mar 4 08:33:12 PST 2010

Dear list,

thanks for help so far!
As mentioned earlier, we tried to get Opennebula running with Xen-hypervisor.
Because we got stuck (at the moment, we don't get the vm's ip adress), we
changed to KVM and tried to get it working. At the moment we are developing
our system parallel with xen and kvm. Our new setup for KVM is CentOS as
frontend and Ubuntu 9.10 as worker-node.

Now, with KVM, we got new problems:
Nothing is copied from the front-end to the worker-node; no image and no
deployment.0 file. So the vm hangs in pending state. We modified the
vm-template, as described in the documentation.

As in the sched.log, the host is discovered:
Thu Mar  4 16:14:16 2010 [HOST][D]: Discovered Hosts (enabled): 1
Thu Mar  4 16:14:16 2010 [VM][D]: Pending virtual machines : 76
Thu Mar  4 16:14:16 2010 [RANK][W]: No rank defined for VM
Thu Mar  4 16:14:16 2010 [SCHED][I]: Select hosts
        PRI     HID
        -------------------
Virtual Machine: 76

The output of the kvm.rb is as follows:
HYPERVISOR=kvm
TOTALCPU=200
CPUSPEED=
TOTALMEMORY=
USEDMEMORY=770852
FREEMEMORY=1770720
FREECPU=198.6
USEDCPU=1.40000000000001
NETRX=
NETTX=

I think there is enough free memory, since the vm gets 256MB.
Maybe the clue is, that not all keys got a value?

And the oned.log is attached.

Does someone have an idea, why nothing is copied to the worker node and the vm
remains in pending state?

I would appreciate every hint!

Best regards,
Richard