[one-users] features of OpenNebula

Ignacio Martin Llorente llorente at dacya.ucm.es
Sat Jan 30 09:32:36 PST 2010

Dear Yu-Ju,

> 1. Does OpenNebula provide management tools such that I (as a cloud provider, not just a cloud user) can easily modify the program to use my own scheduling/resource management algorithm to choose when and how to do live migration, etc? I really need the flexibility for research purpose.

Yes, OpenNebula has been designed to be a flexible tool allowing its integration with any component in the cloud and virtualization ecosystem. This is one of its differentiators compared with others  technologies for cloud computing. In fact OpenNebula is being used by several projects as a tool for innovation and research. The scheduler module can be modified to implement other VM placement algorithms. There are several groups doing research on this. For example you gave the default scheduler, Haizea (http://haizea.cs.uchicago.edu/), Consolidation Scheduler for Energy Efficiency (http://dev.opennebula.org/projects/consolidation-sched/wiki), RESERVOIR scheduler (http://www.reservoir-fp7.eu/)...

> 2. I know OpenNebula works with Xen, but does it work with Xen Cloud Platform (XCP)? XCP seems to be a great open standard initiative and provides XAPI tool stacks, but I'm not sure if using the API to write my own management tool would be the most efficient way if OpenNebula can provide the feature I need in question 1.

Yes, in my view, OpenNebula and XCP complement each other (http://www.citrix.com/English/NE/news/news.asp?newsID=1857184). We are now evaluating the development of plugins to interface with XAPI stacks.

Summarizing, we created OpenNebula to provide the support you require,

Cheers