[one-users] features of OpenNebula

Yu-Ju Hong yuru.hong at gmail.com
Fri Jan 29 08:30:57 PST 2010

Hi,

I'm new to VM and cloud computing and am working on a research project that
requires me to build a small cloud using several servers. I'll be manage the
servers as an administrator. I decided to use Xen and was wondering whether
I should use OpenNebula to manage them. Here are my questions.

1. Does OpenNebula provide management tools such that I (as a cloud
provider, not just a cloud user) can easily modify the program to use my own
scheduling/resource management algorithm to choose when and how to do live
migration, etc? I really need the flexibility for research purpose.

2. I know OpenNebula works with Xen, but does it work with Xen Cloud
Platform (XCP)? XCP seems to be a great open standard initiative and
provides XAPI tool stacks, but I'm not sure if using the API to write my own
management tool would be the most efficient way if OpenNebula can provide
the feature I need in question 1.

Thanks a lot!

Yu-Ju