[one-users] VMware VMs stay in boot state

Tino Vazquez tinova at fdi.ucm.es
Wed Jan 27 04:04:04 PST 2010

Hi Stefan,

comments inline,

On Wed, Jan 27, 2010 at 10:27 AM, Stefan Reichel
<stefan.reichel at student.hpi.uni-potsdam.de> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> i tried to analyze the bug and finally solve this problem. For now these are my results, please correct my if i am wrong.
>
> First of all,  the VM is running in VMware but in the "onevm list" it  is still booting. The VirtualMachineManager::deploy_action was finished. These were the facts now my theory:
>
> Normally the MadManager will receive a message, and forward it to the corresponding VM-Driver by calling the protocol method. In my case this would be the VirtualMachineManagerDriver.  Nevertheless its protocol method is not called and therefore it can't call the LifeCycleManager, which would in effect set the "running" state, after reacting on a "DEPLOY_SUCCESS". Therefore i assume, that the corresponding message is never send. But who should send it???

The VMware VMM mad is responsible to send back the DEPLOY SUCESS, so
it is probably failing to do so. you mentioned in a previous email
that the VM is already running, so I guess the driver is crashing
badly after performing the powerOn (otherwise it will send the "DEPLOY
FAILED " and you would get a "fail" instead of a "boot" in the VM
state). Do you see anything in the one_vmm_vmware log file?

> I temporary fixed the problem by setting the running state manually in the mentioned deploy_action. I hope that someone will finally answer one of my messages. Indeed its my third unanswered? message to this community.

Sorry for the delay in my answers, please take into account that this
is a best effort support mailing list.

> We try to use opennebula in our current project, but the focus of our project is not to get software to do what it is used to do. Nevertheless we are software developers and therefore  we could also fix and extend the openNebula project if there would be any support from you.

That is great news!! Could you please elaborate a bit on what is that
you intend to do with the software? We are happy to provide best
effort support.

Best regards,

-Tino