[one-users] Installed and almost working

Tino Vazquez tinova at fdi.ucm.es
Fri Jan 15 02:17:25 PST 2010

Hi José,

comments inline,

On Wed, Jan 13, 2010 at 4:55 PM, Jose de Paula Eufrasio Junior
<jose.junior at gmail.com> wrote:
> So, following the site's 1.4 documentation was easy enough, what is
> not being easy is actually running a VM on ONE :)
>
> I tried two approaches: downloaded a pre-made image from stacklet.com
> and created an image using dd and debootstrap. The template file [1]
> below refers to the second try (debootstrap). I am using the KVM
> configs, ONE is installed as stand alone and mounted via NFS on the
> clients.
>
>  I am getting an assorted share of errors:
>
> * Machine boots, but gets stuck at the "Waiting for root filesystem"

Try setting the disk targets as hda and hdb

> * Using the stacklet image I got a grub screen where I could change
> the root to sda1, it booted but I got a lot of I/O errors and boot
> eventually froze. I could use VNC to send a three-finger-salute
> (ctrl-alt-del) and go back to the grub boot screen, using my
> debbootstraped image, I the salute kills kvm (but it still running on
> onevm list, with unknow status).
> * The console. There's nothing I do on that config that makes the console work.

I suggest you try the console straight with "virsh", and then setting
the same in the RAW part of the VM template.

> * Boot and kernel. Are they supposed to be in the image? Or on the
> host system? Kinda lost here.

With KVM you have both choices. You can either use a kernel inside the
image, or you can use one present in the physical host where the VM is
going to be run (note that you will need the correct kernel modules
present in the image)

> * VNC IP and port. If I start cloning VMs, all will try the same
> port/IP? And if I migrate from one client to another, will the IP be
> updated?

If you are using the same template, I'm afraid the answer is yes, they
will try the same port. It can be an interesting feature to marry the
VNC port number with the OpenNebula ID, do you think this can be
useful?

> So, documentation on installing and configuring ONE is great, but I
> could use more info on how to actually create and install images that
> boot and work. For example, documentation talks about Context, but it
> is not really clear if you always have to contextualize, or when
> exactly you have to do that.

Well, I guess that depends on what VMs are you planning to run.
OpenNebula provides infrastructure, but it is agnostic to the content
of the VMs, so making such a documentation will be a great effort that
will produce something probably useless.

Regards,

-Tino