[one-users] Installed and almost working

Jose de Paula Eufrasio Junior jose.junior at gmail.com
Wed Jan 13 07:55:41 PST 2010

So, following the site's 1.4 documentation was easy enough, what is
not being easy is actually running a VM on ONE :)

I tried two approaches: downloaded a pre-made image from stacklet.com
and created an image using dd and debootstrap. The template file [1]
below refers to the second try (debootstrap). I am using the KVM
configs, ONE is installed as stand alone and mounted via NFS on the
clients.

 I am getting an assorted share of errors:

* Machine boots, but gets stuck at the "Waiting for root filesystem"
* Using the stacklet image I got a grub screen where I could change
the root to sda1, it booted but I got a lot of I/O errors and boot
eventually froze. I could use VNC to send a three-finger-salute
(ctrl-alt-del) and go back to the grub boot screen, using my
debbootstraped image, I the salute kills kvm (but it still running on
onevm list, with unknow status).
* The console. There's nothing I do on that config that makes the console work.
* Boot and kernel. Are they supposed to be in the image? Or on the
host system? Kinda lost here.
* VNC IP and port. If I start cloning VMs, all will try the same
port/IP? And if I migrate from one client to another, will the IP be
updated?

So, documentation on installing and configuring ONE is great, but I
could use more info on how to actually create and install images that
boot and work. For example, documentation talks about Context, but it
is not really clear if you always have to contextualize, or when
exactly you have to do that.

Unless I got everything completely wrong, I am lost :)

[1] Template

NAME = vm-teste
CPU = 1
MEMORY = 512

OS = [ kernel = "/srv/cloud/images/kernels/vmlinuz-2.6.26-2-amd64",
       initrd = "/srv/cloud/images/kernels/initrd.img-2.6.26-2-amd64",
       kernel_cmd = "root=/dev/sda1",
       root = "sda1" ]

DISK = [ source = "/srv/cloud/images/debian.raw.img",
         clone = no,
         target = sda,
         readonly = no ]

DISK = [ type = swap,
         size = 1024,
         target = sdb ]

NIC = [ NETWORK="Z 01" ]

GRAPHICS = [ type = vnc,
             listen = "0.0.0.0",
             port = 5900 ]

CONTEXT = [ hostname = "teste-vm" ]

RAW = [ type = "kvm",
        data = "<console type=\"pty\"><source
path='/dev/pts/4'/><target port=\"0\" /></console>" ]

--
José de Paula Eufrásio Júnior (coredump)
MCSO, GRC Professional