[one-users] VM boots but is not reachable

Jaime Melis j.melis at fdi.ucm.es
Wed Feb 10 09:28:46 PST 2010

Hi Stefan,

My guess is that if you're using a preexisting image, udev will have already
created a persistent rule associated to your old NIC device labeled as
'eth0'. If you deploy it with OpenNebula, the MAC address will change (most
probably) so the new network interface will be labeled 'eth1'. If I'm not
wrong and that's the problem, try removing that persistent 'eth0' udev rule.

Anyhow, the best way to find out what's going on with your VM is to enable
VNC access to it. You can then connect to the VM and see what's going on.

To do that try using this in your VM template, for instance:

GRAPHICS = [
  type    = "vnc",
  listen  = "127.0.0.1",
  port    = "5"]

for more info check:
http://opennebula.org/doku.php?id=documentation:rel1.4:template#i_o_devices_section

And one more thing, you don't need to pre-configure the network settings
(IP, etc), you can do it dynamically by using vmcontext:
http://opennebula.org/doku.php?id=documentation:rel1.4:vgg#using_the_leases_within_the_virtual_machine

Cheers!

Jaime