[one-users] OpenNebula doesn't works if hosts aren't installed in english !

Javier Fontan jfontan at gmail.com
Fri Dec 17 06:50:30 PST 2010

We have been tinkering with the API for libvirt and xen but we found
several problems with that as the APIs were changing faster than the
command line output. Appart from that we think that having all those
commands scripted in sh files make them easier to modify for system
administrators. Most of them prefer to change a shell script than to
change some C or Ruby code. Creating utilities that make use of
libvirt/xen APIs that can be called from the VMM action scripts would
definitely be nice but it's not something we have in the roadmap. I'm
not saying it is totally out of scope, just not in the top priority
list.

Anyway, you can change VMM action scripts and add an "export LANG=C"
so you don't have to change your OS language.

On Wed, Dec 15, 2010 at 4:14 PM, Philippe Berthault
<Philippe.Berthault at bull.net> wrote:
> I've installed a Fedora-14 distribution with french language support.
>
> Because of this, the scheduler of OpenNebula cannot start virtual machines
> because it searches english strings in the result of the command "virsh" to
> determine my hosts capabilities.
>
> I can change my locale settings to force english language but generally
> speaking, the use of command line result parsing in any program is very
> problematic and not a viable solution because of possible evolutions of
> these command lines. In exemple, Red Hat can change the format of the virsh
> command result in the future...
>
> Il will be better to use the libvirt API in the OpenNebula scheduler instead
> of using the virsh command line and it's true also for all other command
> lines used by OpenNebula : xm, xentop, elastichosts, ec2_xxx, etc...

Javier Fontan, Grid & Virtualization Technology Engineer/Researcher