[one-users] Why host is mandatory in the onevm deploy command ?

Daniel Molina Aranda danmolin at fdi.ucm.es
Wed Dec 15 02:56:28 PST 2010

Hi Philippe,

The "onevm deploy" command will force the virtual machine deployment
ignoring the scheduler decision, so that you have to specify the host where
you want the virtual machine to be deployed.

If you want to use the cluster option, you have to specify the cluster name
in the "REQUIREMENTS" section of the virtual machine template. This value
will be used by the scheduler to choose a host of that cluster.

REQUIREMENTS = "CLUSTER = \"testing\""

For more information
- REQUIREMENTS section:
http://www.opennebula.org/documentation:rel2.0:template#placement_section
- Clusters and Hosts:
http://www.opennebula.org/documentation:rel2.0:cluster_guide

Hope this helps.

On 15 December 2010 11:29, Philippe Berthault
<Philippe.Berthault at bull.net>wrote:

> Hello,
>
> The "onevm deploy" command requires two parameters : the vm and a host.
>
> I don't understand why it's mandatory to specify a host name when hosts are
> grouped into clusters. In this case, the "onevm deploy" command would accept
> a cluster name instead of a host name and OpenNebula would be able to choose
> the best host of this cluster to launch the virtual machine on it.
>
> If this functionnality will be available in a future version of OpenNebula
> ?
>
> Philippe.

Daniel Molina, Cloud Technology Engineer/Researcher
DSA Research Group: web http://dsa-research.org and blog
http://blog.dsa-research.org
OpenNebula Open Source Toolkit for Cloud Computing:
http://www.OpenNebula.org