[one-users] Host monitoring with snmp ?

Ruben S. Montero rubensm at dacya.ucm.es
Wed Apr 21 00:54:26 PDT 2010

Hi,

Excellent! Thanks for your contribution. Sorry I mixed up the
operators, I meant the integer division instead of mod

On Wed, Apr 21, 2010 at 9:19 AM, Neil Mooney <neil.mooney at sara.nl> wrote:
> Excellent ,  I will package up the snmp information manager scripts and
> post them to the ecosystem.
>
> Regarding the monitoring interval, I am a little confused ... perhaps
> there is a reason but I cant fathom it , it seems if you don't have
> multiples of 10 nodes then your monitoring interval will grow ...
>

> **((2 nodes mod 10) + 1) * 10 = 30 second interval**
>
> **((10 nodes mod 10) + 1) * 10 = 10** second interval****
>
> **((26 nodes mod 10) + 1) * 10 = 70** second interval
>
> ******((260 nodes mod 10) + 1) * 10 = 10 second interval
> **
> Why should it be quicker to monitor 10 or 260 hosts rather than 2 hosts ?
>
> Cheers
>
> Neil
>

> Ruben S. Montero wrote:
>> Hi
>>
>> This is a great idea indeed, and a great contribution for the
>> ecosystem ;) . Just a few thoughts about monitoring...
>>
>> The MONITORING_INTERVAL is the time between to monitor actions in
>> OpenNebula. Each monitor action takes the ONLY THE LAST 10 hosts
>> monitored by the system. So if you have more than 10 hosts the hosts
>> are going to be monitored in approx ((num_hosts mod 10) + 1) *
>> monitoring_interval.
>>
>> If that is not your case, please send us the output of oned.log...
>>

>> Cheers
>>
>> Ruben
>>
>> On Thu, Apr 15, 2010 at 10:57 AM, Neil Mooney <neil.mooney at sara.nl> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi All,
>>>
>>> I had some problems with host monitoring, namely that I could not
>>> decrease the cycle time to monitor a host.
>>> It is my understanding that we might need to monitor our hosts more
>>> often to get better / fairer scheduling.
>>>
>>> I changed HOST_MONITORING_INTERVAL setting to 10 seconds, but I could
>>> not realise a cycle time of less than 30 seconds...
>>>
>>> oneadmin at node15-one:~$ grep INTERVAL /etc/one/oned.conf
>>> #  HOST_MONITORING_INTERVAL: Time in seconds between host monitorization
>>> #  VM_POLLING_INTERVAL: Time in seconds between virtual machine
>>> monitorization
>>> HOST_MONITORING_INTERVAL = 10
>>> VM_POLLING_INTERVAL      = 60
>>>
>>> I wrote a script that tries to emulate the ruby monitoring script, but
>>> pulls the information directly from system snmp counters to
>>> This should mean a more real time status of each host and avoids parsing
>>> out, scp and ssh of the ruby script.
>>>
>>> Is host monitoring via snmp a good idea ? Perhaps its  faster / more
>>> scalable ?
>>>
>>> Example output using the ruby script from ONE:
>>>
>>> oneadmin at node15-one:~$ time
>>> /tmp/one-im/one_im-7a0979c4d3d29cded6cdb99498449870
>>> HYPERVISOR=kvm
>>> TOTALCPU=800
>>> CPUSPEED=2261
>>> TOTALMEMORY=24735424
>>> USEDMEMORY=10151572
>>> FREEMEMORY=24159416
>>> FREECPU=770.4
>>> USEDCPU=29.6
>>> NETRX=18837297726
>>> NETTX=328653416717
>>>
>>> Example output from my snmp script:
>>>
>>> real    0m3.531s
>>> user    0m0.000s
>>> sys     0m0.028s
>>> oneadmin at node15-one:~$ time scripts/onemonitor.sh node16-one
>>> HYPERVISOR=kvm
>>> TOTALCPU=800
>>> CPUSPEED=2270
>>> TOTALMEMORY=24735424
>>> USEDMEMORY=18889772
>>> FREEMEMORY=5845652
>>> FREECPU=0.00
>>> USEDCPU=800.00
>>> NETRX=513353459
>>> NETTX=3422880146
>>>
>>> real    0m0.039s
>>> user    0m0.012s
>>> sys     0m0.048s
>>> oneadmin at node15-one:~$ time scripts/onemonitor.sh localhost
>>> HYPERVISOR=kvm
>>> TOTALCPU=800
>>> CPUSPEED=2270
>>> TOTALMEMORY=24735424