[one-users] resume a suspended VM in a different host

Shi Jin jinzishuai at gmail.com
Mon Apr 26 16:35:03 PDT 2010

Hi there,

I am able to suspend/resume a KVM instance using OpenNebula, which is very nice.
However, I find that the resumed VM always runs on the same host where
it was running before.
This pauses a problem if the original host became fully occupied. The
VM will resume any ways, causing degradation of performance of other
VMs and might even cause error due to lack of memory.
On the other hand, I think this can be fixed, especially if we are
using a shared storage driver such as the tm_nfs.
I can imagine that the to be resumed VM is actually put into the queue
asking for resources from the scheduler.
Once a proper host is selected for it, it can then easily be resume
from the other host.

I guess we don't really have to have a shared storage, just like
migrate works on ssh drivers as well.

Do you think this is a reasonable suggestion?

--
Shi Jin, Ph.D.