[one-users] Shutdown of a virtual machine deletes the machine in onevm database

Florian Kruse florian.kruse at tu-dortmund.de
Thu Apr 1 08:15:50 PDT 2010

Hi!

We are using OpenNebula 1.2 as it is shipped in Ubuntu Server 9.10 (together with libvirt 0.7.0 and KVM/QEMU for virtualization). Our implementation uses the SSH transfer manager. Deploying VMs works as well as stopping and resuming VMs. However, OpenNebula acts somewhat strange when a machine is shut down (either by onevm shutdown or from inside the machine). It copies the machine's image back (save = yes) and removes the machine from the database.

In our use case we want to shut down machines and still be able to boot them again. Of course we could copy the disk image over the original one used for creating the machine and re-create it after that. But that would be very impractical.

Is there a way to make one not forget the machine after the shutdown so it can be restarted by onevm deploy/resume or something similar?

Thanks for help in advance! Greetings,

Florian