[one-users] Test Adapter for OpenNebula ?

Borja Sotomayor borja at borjanet.com
Tue Sep 29 02:05:23 PDT 2009

Hi,

> Well in fact this may be quite straight forward if we assume that all
> operations always succeed and we do not need to model the behavior of
> the hosts. Gary, let me know if this would work for your demo. Borja,
> we can use this as a very simple development backend.

To be more specific, I think this 'test adapter' would have to provide
the following features:

- Allow specification of a number of physical hosts with specific
capacities using a configuration file.

- Internally keep track of what VMs are running and respond to
monitoring command with predictable values. For simplicity, a simple
starting point could be to make all VMs say that they are using 0% of
their allocated CPU or 100% of their allocated CPU (maybe in the future
allowing for more complex models, to replicate real workloads).

- Allow execution of all OpenNebula operations. For simplicity, as Ruben
points out, a simple starting point is to assume that all operations
complete successfully and instantly. In the future, it would be nice to
also configure delays (most importantly, suspension/resumption shouldn't
be done instantaneously; the test driver should try to replicate that
there's a delay while the VM suspends/resumes, and that is should remain
in the "suspending" state for some time before transitioning to
"suspended") and even failures (e.g., I want to add error handling code
in Haizea, but doing this with a real testbed is messy, since it
involves somehow provoking the VMs to fail).

- As a starting point, this test adapter should operate in "real time".
For simulations, it would be nice to have "simulated time" (so we can
fast-forward through a lot of requests) but since the core and the
scheduler are separate processes, it would involve coordinating this
simulated time between the two components. This is doable, but we would
to think about what's the best way of doing this.

Gary: Would the above meet your requirements?

Cheers!
--
Borja Sotomayor, University of Chicago