[one-users] Assigning fixed IP's to VM's

Jaime Melis j.melis at fdi.ucm.es
Wed Oct 7 06:51:28 PDT 2009

Hi cmasmas

> eth0            8000.001e373597bc       no              peth0

you should have in your network template then:
BRIDGE = eth0

I think I do need to specity a MAC-IP pair. Each VM must have the same IP,
> always, even if they are restarted.

Follow these steps:

   - enable saving: "SAVE = yes" in the vm template file.
   - contextualize the VM with the vmcontext scripts (follow the guide Tino
   showed you)
   - stop the vm with onevm stop <vmid>
   - resume the vm whenever you want with onevm resume <vmid>

As you can see you don't need DHCP. OpenNebula will generate the MAC, the
vmcontext script running in your vms will grab the MAC and configure the IP
accordingly. Since the MAC address won't change, the IP won't change either,
even if you reboot the vm. By doing 'stop', you create a checkpoint and you
can resume it later.

regards,
Jaime