[one-users] Contextualization: cdrom vs disk

Shi Jin jinzishuai at gmail.com
Tue Oct 27 11:12:43 PDT 2009

Hi there,

The current way of inserting contexture script to OpenNebula is done
via adding the ISO image as an additional real-only disk image.
With the template:
CONTEXT = [
  HOSTNAME   = "$NAME",
  FILES      = "/srv/cloud/ImgRep/FC11AOS/init.sh
/srv/cloud/ImgRep/FC11AOS/ipcontext.sh",
  TARGET     = "sdc" ]

The xml file is
<disk type='file' device='disk'>
      <source file='/srv/cloud/oneadmin/one-svn-installation/var/122/images/disk.1'/>
      <target dev='sdc' bus='scsi'/>
      <readonly/>
    </disk>
This works pretty well under Linux. However, it does not work at all
under Windows.
On the other hand, I found that if we make it a cdrom device instead
of a disk, it works on both systems. The XML would be
<disk type='file' device='cdrom'>
<source file='/srv/cloud/ImgRep/WinXP/vmcontext.iso'/>
<target dev='hdb' bus='ide'/>

I see two ways to accomplish this
1. change the context behavior to cdrom device completely. This should
work fine.
2. give the user the freedom to choose either a cdrom or disk device.
This will be completely compatible with previous setup.

Do you think this can be done fairly easily?
Thanks a lot.
Shi

--
Shi Jin, Ph.D.