[one-users] Questions about host & VM failover mechanisms

Rangababu Chakravarthula rbabu at hexagrid.com
Tue Oct 27 10:41:54 PDT 2009

Opennebula team,

(a) What mechanism does Opennebula use to monitor hosts?

(b) I would like to know how we can migrate VM's in the following two
scenarios.

(1) The host might be up but due to some network issues, opennebula is not
able to monitor the host.
(a) Does it move the host status to ERR?
(b) What does it do to the VM's. Does it move to a different state?
(c) Is there a mechanism to automatically migrate those VM's to different
host?

(2) When somebody manually shutdown the host. Vm's on that host are not
accessible anymore for users.
Is there a way during the shutdown sequence we can trigger a script to
migrate the VM's ? Because, by the time opennebula
finds that host is down users will get effected. How to address this?

Thanks
Ranga