[one-users] OpenNebula Vs Eculayptus

Ruben S. Montero rubensm at dacya.ucm.es
Mon Jul 6 08:09:39 PDT 2009

Hi,

Comments inlined

On Fri, Jul 3, 2009 at 6:39 PM, Boris Konrad
<boris.konrad at uni-dortmund.de> wrote:
> Hi,
>

>> * Support for advance contextualization. OpenNebula gives you the
>> ability to push any context data to a VM,  so it can auto-configure at
>> boot time. (for example software licenses, IP of the service master,
>> data from other VM, the role of the VM... ). I think this kind
>> contextualization can not be done with Eucalyptus.
>
> Where can I find our more about this functions? I did not find
> anything about that in the documentation?

This is in the development documentation, probably the most updated
documentation of what can be specified is in the trunk:

http://dev.opennebula.org/projects/opennebula/repository/entry/trunk/share/examples/vm.schema#L89

OpenNebula generates a special CD-ROM context device with all the data
so you can use it at boot time. We will add an example on how to use
this for the next release. This is implemented in trunk in case you
want to try it.

> Also, does this work for the stop/resume OpenNebula uses?
The CD-ROM is generated at boot time and this data is not regenerated
throughout the life-cycle of the VM. Do you have an use case for this
functionality?

> Is there any chance to use OpenNebula to and shutdown and reboot a VM?
onevm shutdown, should do the job...
for reboot check

http://lists.opennebula.org/pipermail/users-opennebula.org/2009-July/000548.html

Cheers