[one-users] [RFC] Release 1.4 - Multiuser support

Ruben S. Montero rubensm at dacya.ucm.es
Tue Feb 10 08:46:08 PST 2009

Hi,

	A few days ago OpenNebula 1.2 was released, and although the current version
provides a great functionality we've started to work in the next release.
We'll be discussing the new features in the list/trac. We've defined the main
campaigns for the next release. However, the final set of features is not yet
defined so if you have a request do not hesitate to ask!!!.

	Current tickets for OpenNebula 1.4 (Hourglass) can be found in the milestone
page:
http://trac.opennebula.org/milestone/Release 1.4

This message is to discuss:

MULTIUSER SUPPORT FOR OPENNEBULA
========================

Different users will be able to submit and control VMs, each user will be able
only to control its own VMs. Based on this multi-user support we will be able
to:
  * Build priority scheduling policies
  * Set user capacity quotas
  * Report per-user accounting information

Although we plan to support simultaneous users, low-level hypervisor
operations
will be performed with the oneadmin account. In this way the configuration of
the cluster remains easy and scalable.

Our first approach to authentication is based in plain Unix accounts.

Please send your comments and thoughts to the mailing list or in the following
ticket:
http://trac.opennebula.org/ticket/16

Cheers

Ruben