[one-users] ONE templates for Windows on XEN

Nikola Milutinovic n.milutinovic at levi9.com
Fri Dec 4 07:52:51 PST 2009

Hi all.

I have been searching the net but cannot find the answer to my problem.

We have 2 VMWare images, one of Linux Ubuntu 9.0.4 and the other Windows
XP and we are launching them from OpenNebula 1.4

We are planning to replace VMWare Server with Xen. I have found how to
convert VMWare image to Xen image. What puzzles me is how the OpenNebula
template should look like. Most notably, what should "OS" section contain.

Samples for Linux I have found on the net are not really helpful. I have
found that for Ubuntu Linux I should have something like:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/OpenNebula:

OS     = [
       kernel   = "/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.18-4-xen-amd64",
       initrd   = "/boot/initrd.img-2.6.18-4-xen-amd64",
       root     = "sda1" ]

Now, several things puzzle me.

1. are these paths paths to the kernel and initrd on the guest (DomU) or
the host machine (Dom0)?
2. what should be the parameters for Windows XP, then?
3. all examples on Xen web site mention a "kernel" parameter in the VM
config file, but it is pointing to "/usr/lib/xen/hvmloader"

At some point it seamed to me that the sample is referring to a
para-virtualized Xen image (notice "xen" in kernel name).

Can someone help?

Nix.
--
Met vriendelijke groet / Kind regards,
Nikola Milutinovic

Chamber of commerce Levi9 Global Sourcing BV: 34221951
Chamber of commerce Levi9 Global Sourcing Benelux BV: 34224746
This e-mail may contain confidential or privileged information. If you
are not (one of) the intended recipient(s), please notify the sender
immediately by reply e-mail and delete this message and any attachments
permanently without retaining a copy. Any review, disclosure, copying,
distribution or taking any action in reliance on the contents of this
e-mail by persons or entities other than the intended recipient(s) is
strictly prohibited and may be unlawful.

The services of Levi9 are exclusively subject to its general terms and
conditions. These general terms and conditions can be found on
www.levi9.com <http://www.levi9.com/> and a copy will be promptly
submitted to you on your request and free of charge.