[one-users] Cannot shutdown VM

Ruben S. Montero rubensm at dacya.ucm.es
Tue Aug 11 09:22:51 PDT 2009

Hi,

The change in my last email was wrong. ACPI was properly set by the
current version, and you need acpi to shutdown your VM, however you
need  acpid or similar in the guest VM for this to work. So probably
you can not shutdown the VM because you are not handling the acpi
events in the guest OS. If you do not want to use acpi just put
acpi="no", and the VM will shutdown the "hard way"...

Cheers!

Ruben

On Tue, Aug 11, 2009 at 5:46 PM, Ruben S. Montero<rubensm at dacya.ucm.es> wrote:
> [...]
> However there is a bug in the libvirtdriver.cc. ACPI and PAE are
> inverted so if you want to get the ACPI feature just put ACPI="no" in
> the template or apply:
>
> http://dev.opennebula.org/projects/opennebula/repository/revisions/765/diff/trunk/src/vmm/LibVirtDriver.cc
>
> Also I am getting
>
>> virsh  reboot one-13
> error: Failed to reboot domain one-13
> error: this function is not supported by the hypervisor: virDomainReboot
>

>> > libvirtd --version
> libvirtd (libvirt) 0.6.5
>

> Can you reboot a domain (this domain have ACPI set, and can be shutdown)?
>
> Cheers!
>
> Ruben
>
> On Tue, Aug 11, 2009 at 8:52 AM, Harsha Buggi<Harsha_Buggi at mindtree.com> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>    Thanks for your response. To answer some of your questions :
>>
>> For the 1st issue - Yes I am able to boot the VM's but not shut them down. If I just replace v1.3.80 with v1.2 in the same environment everything works perfect. There are no errors in the logs. When I do a shutdown the VM goes to shut state and stays there. But the VM is still running on the node.
>>
>> Modifications made as described in the second issue does not solve the first issue.
>>
>> Comming to the third issue - what is the mechanism for oneadmin to define a user and related access controls? I could not find any 'oneuser' command which might let the oneadmin define permissions. Also what is the mechanism for a specific user to access his/her VM's. How does Nebula core know which user is currently logged into the system and executing 'one' commands.
>> I have created a user on the system called 'harsha' and after I log into the system I am able to run all the 'one' commands.I was able to delete Vnets and VM's created by 'oneadmin'. This got me a little confused and I am finding it difficult to understand what is the purpose of creating users in nebula?
>> I am not using 'sudo' to execute any commands.
>>
>> Few more issues....
>>
>> 1) The node statistics do not get updated to the Front end after adding a host with 'onehost' command. 'TCPU','FCPU' and 'TMEM' are all 0. Therefore VM do not automatically get deployed when they are created.
>>
>> 2) What state should a VM be in order to perform a 'restart'. Will this by any chance reboot a VM? I have tried restart when the VM is in runn,fail,shut states but I always get the response this is not in the right state to perform this operation.
>>
>>  Questions...
>>
>>  What is the version of VM ware that Nebula supports. If I want to run Nebula with VMware which packages and their corresponding version should I install?
>>
>>   Is VM reboot functionality included in the product roadmap? This is somthing which I require urgently and I am ready to test any partial builds if they are available with this functionality.

>>> kvm-60
>>> qemu-0.9.0-7
>>> libvirt-0.4.4