[one-users] Cannot build the source - ONE 1.0

Javier Fontan jfontan at fdi.ucm.es
Thu Sep 11 10:34:34 PDT 2008

Hello,

We are actually working on this problem. It is taking longer than we
expected so I will try to clarify what happens in this email.

The library we use to provide xmlrpc services in one server is xmlrpc-
c (http://xmlrpc-c.sourceforge.net/). Depending on how it was compiled
it needs to know what libraries it needs to link with the executable.
The standard procedure to know this is using the script provided with
the libraries, it is called xmlrpc-c-config. You have to tell the
script what kind of executable you are creating and it tells you the
linking parameters you have to provide to link successfully. The
problem is that this information is not always correct in all
installations of this library. To overcome the issue I have created an
script that tries to compile and link two programs with different
options until it finds the correct libraries for that xmlrpc-c
installation.

That very script has a bug when deleting files after it tries to
compile test code, it does not check for the output executable to
exist, so if in that try it could not compile the test it will break
after trying to delete the file that does not exist. In the svn there
is a version of the script that does checks the file before trying to
delete it. You can get latest version using svn (svn co http://svn.opennebula.org/one/trunk
  one) or using the track interface, going to browser and downloading
this specific file (http://trac.opennebula.org/browser/one/trunk/share/scons/get_xmlrpc_config
). I recomend you to use the svn procedure as we are testing one in
more installations/linux flavors and adding recipes on how to link to
xmlrpc-c.

Concerning people asking on how to debug this (not sending gcc output
to dev null) I have to say that it is a very good idea to have some
kind of debug or log information to get a clue on how it is happening.
I will try to add this as soon as I can (there are still lots of tasks
in my todo list). Meanwhile I have updated the script with two more
recipes and it now also prints what it is trying to do so you can test
g++ compile lines from the command line.

I hope this helps and clarify the status of the ticket.

Bye