[one-users] OpenNebula CLVM

Nuno Fernandes npf-mlists at eurotux.com
Mon Jul 28 08:22:13 PDT 2008

On Monday 28 July 2008 14:37:00 Tino Vazquez wrote:
> Hi Nuno,
>
> Currently we don't support virtual images in other places than files. The
> reason behind this decision is that we couldn't think of a scenario were
> virtual images were made available as logical volumes to all the computers
> on the physical cluster. So our approach was to recommend one base image
> and then cloning this one whenever required.
>
> Adding this support won't be really hard, maybe you can convince us that
> there is a use case worth to be taken into account.
Well.. we've been using lvm image based virtual machines as resize operations
are simpler.. lvextend, lvreduce, etc. Lvm based virtual machines are also
faster because they don't have the overhead of the dom0 filesystem.

Using a fileysystem put images has some drawbacks as performance, managment,
etc.

Snapshots are also easier in lvm (not yet supported in clustered lvm), as well
as mirroring volumes.

Hope that helps convincing supporting lvm images.. :)

Best regards,
Nuno Fernandes