[one-ecosystem] Cross cloud provider opennebula

Daniel Molina dmolina at opennebula.org
Mon Feb 27 05:40:13 PST 2012

Hi Ian,

On 27 February 2012 07:07, Ian Peric <ianp at guvera.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm evaluating opennebula, cloudstack, openstack and eucalyptus.
>
> Our main MUST HAVE feature is cross cloud vendor support ie, rackspace, ec2,
> Xen.

OpenNebula gives you the flexibility to adapt your datacenter to meet
these requirements. Currently the OpenNebula distribution includes
drivers to interact with EC2 clouds in a hybrid cloud scenario but
this set of drivers can be easily extended.

> I thought this was pretty standard with opennebula and I like the ability to
> hack the framework. We have had allot of problems with the deltacloud
> adapter "MAD did not answer INIT command".
> After a bit of debugging I noticed that this adapter is not supported in the
> latest stable version of opennebula (3.2.1-1).

You are right, the current version of this driver is not updated to
interact with OpenNebula 3.x, but it should not be difficult to update
it to the last version. We have just updated the EC2 driver adding new
functionality such as security groups, vpcs, tags... [1] The new
deltacloud driver could be based on this driver, you can take a look
to the one_vmm_ec2.rb file [2].

If you are interested on updating the deltacloud driver we could
provide feedback on this process

Cheers

[1] http://dev.opennebula.org/issues/1048
[2] one_vmm_ec2.rb:
http://dev.opennebula.org/projects/opennebula/repository/revisions/b70a4e33ba5083f69208a48f6d437ade3fe79ea9/entry/src/vmm_mad/ec2/one_vmm_ec2.rb

> Is there a better way of achieving this result or should I just move on to
> the next product?
>
> Regards,
> Ian.

Daniel Molina