[one-ecosystem] NIC hot-plugging or the ability to add IP Leases to running VMs

Carlos Martín Sánchez cmartin at opennebula.org
Fri Apr 13 05:32:20 PDT 2012

Hi Simon,

Your message is very timely, as we were thinking about adding disk and
networking attach/detach actions in 3.6, see this ticket [1]

Our approach will be to add new actions to the VM object, not the VNet. The
xmlrpc calls will require a template with the new disk or nic to add,
following the VM template syntax:

NIC = [ NETWORK_ID = 7 ]

The core will check network IP availability, user permissions, etc. We will
probably have to modify the VM life cycle too.

While we figure out how to proceed, it would be very helpful if you could
contribute stand-alone scripts with the necessary hypervisor actions to
add/remove NICs. These scripts will probably need the host, vm hypervisor
identifier, and the MAC as the only parameters.

Thank you for your interest in the OpenNebula development.
Carlos

[1] http://dev.opennebula.org/issues/1223
--
Carlos Martín, MSc