[one-ecosystem] NIC hot-plugging or the ability to add IP Leases to running VMs

Simon Boulet simon at nostalgeek.com
Tue Apr 3 07:57:05 PDT 2012

Hi all,

I recently posted a message on the One-users list regarding NIC
hot-plugging, or the ability to add IP Leases to running VMs:
http://lists.opennebula.org/pipermail/users-opennebula.org/2012-March/008326.html

Basically my idea is to add two new one.vn.assign and one.vn.unassign
calls to the API, and implement new VNM scripts ex. addnic and remnic
to let the hypervisor appropriately set up de bridge or ebtables for
the VM.

Another simpler option is to add an Optional parameter to the
one.vn.hold call which would take the VMID for which the Lease is to
be held. However this option would leave the Cloud admins to configure
the bridge or ebtables manually by logging in to the hypervisor. But
at least it would make Open Nebula consistant and return the lease to
the pool when the VM is destroyed.

We do have suffisant knowledge and time here to implement the new XML
RPC API calls or change the existing one.vn.hold call. However, I
would need help to add the calls in the cli, Sunstone, etc. and for
the addnic and remnic to the different VNMs (as we use a custom VNM
here).

I'm looking at which of these two options is preferred, perhaps
suggestion for the proper API calls or VNM scripts names, or if anyone
as better ideas. We're ready to start working on this immediately and
make it into the next 3.5 release.

Thanks

Simon