[one-ecosystem] Libcloud Update

Daniel Molina dmolina at opennebula.org
Tue Nov 15 03:28:27 PST 2011

Hi Florian and Hutson,

On 13 November 2011 19:24, Hutson Betts <hut101 at tamu.edu> wrote:
> Dear Florian,
>
> You may have to help me understand a little more about OpenNebula's
> implementation of the OCCI Draft Specification.
>
> You mention a version 1.0 and a version 1.1 of the OCCI Specification,
> however, all OpenNebula documentation refers to " latest draft of the
> OGF OCCI API specification", not a version number. Therefore, I've
> always assumed each version of OpenNebula simply updated the OCCI server
> to use the latest version of the draft specification.

Essentially, as Florian points out, the OpenNebula distribution
includes a OCCI implementation based on one of the first drafts (0.8)
of this specification, including some extensions, requested by the
community, to support OpenNebula specific functionality.

I have updated the documentation in order to clarify this:
http://www.opennebula.org/documentation:rel3.2:occicg
http://www.opennebula.org/documentation:rel3.2:occiug
http://www.opennebula.org/documentation:rel3.2:occidd

The implementation of the latest draft (1.1) is being developed by
Florian's team in a ecosystem project:
http://www.opennebula.org/software:ecosystem:occi

> Furthermore, the OCCI Working Group is a little vague about the current
> version of the specification. On their Specification page, they only
> list the latest version of their documents, as indicated by their GFD
> numbers. It was only a blog post which allowed me to realize that GFD
> 185 is actually OCCI 1.1.
>
> DISCLAIMER: I don't speak for Libcloud's wonderful community. I speak
> only for myself, and only based on my experience to date based on my
> work with the greater Libcloud community.
>
> From the Libcloud perspective, we target only one interface of the
> OpenNebula toolkit, it's OCCI interface. However, we treat that
> interface as an OpenNebula-specific interface, and not as a generic
> interface specification for interacting with arbitrary cloud providers.
> Therefore, the OCCI specification, as implemented by OpenNebula, is
> packaged as an OpenNebula driver within Libcloud.

As Hutson points out, the implementation of the Libcloud and
Deltacloud drivers were OpenNebula-specific due to the fact that the
OCCI specification was not finished in that moment and the OpenNebula
implementation was the only one.

> As for your specific question, we do not target the OCCI 1.0
> specification, as denoted by the OCCI Working Group. The reason we do
> not target OCCI 1.0 is because OpenNebula does not have a consistent
> implementation of the OCCI specification across versions. Rather
> OpenNebula 1.4 and OpenNebula 2.0+ use the same semantics to describe
> networks but different semantics to describe compute nodes. Therefore,
> the OpenNebula driver had to be written per OpenNebula version and not
> per OCCI version.
>
> It would be wonderful in the future if Libcloud could support an OCCI
> driver built to a solid specification for use by OpenNebula, ..., and
> other cloud providers. If you would like to work on a joint effort to
> support an OCCI 1.1 specification-derived OpenNebula interface, and
> OCCI-derived Libcloud driver, I would be happy to participate.

I also think that it would be interesting to develop a new driver
exposing the last version of the OCCI interface, in order to interact
with OCCI-compliant clouds, so that we can test interoperability among
different implementations

Kind regards

> --
> Hutson Betts
> Computer Science and Engineering
> Texas A&M University
>

> On Sun, 2011-11-13 at 13:25 +0000, florian.feldhaus at tu-dortmund.de
> wrote:
>> Hi Hutson,
>>
>> great news! Do you use the old OCCI 1.0 API? If so, could we work together
>> to support OCCI 1.1 using the OCCI 1.1 for OpenNebula Ecosystem project
>> (http://dev.opennebula.org/projects/ogf-occi)?
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Florian
>>
>> Am 09.11.11 19:46 schrieb "Hutson Betts" unter <hut101 at tamu.edu>:
>>
>> >Libcloud has released version 0.6.1 (Release announcement:
>> >http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/libcloud-users/201111.mbox/%
>> >3CCAJMHEm+8XX704mSY4qw4P0YSBjGK=0SWCKjzSHBe8sLD__2UnA at mail.gmail.com%3E)
>> >which supports compute node management for OpenNebula 1.4 through
>> >OpenNebula 3.0 using the OCCI API.
>> >
>> >Full changelog for the new OpenNebula support can be seen here:
>> >https://svn.apache.org/viewvc/libcloud/trunk/CHANGES?revision=1198753&view
>> >=markup
>> >
>> >Furthermore, these changes have been tested in my own production
>> >environment.
>> >
>> >--
>> >Hutson Betts
>> >Computer Science and Engineering