[one-ecosystem] Libcloud Update

Hutson Betts hut101 at tamu.edu
Sun Nov 13 10:24:37 PST 2011

Dear Florian,

You may have to help me understand a little more about OpenNebula's
implementation of the OCCI Draft Specification.

You mention a version 1.0 and a version 1.1 of the OCCI Specification,
however, all OpenNebula documentation refers to " latest draft of the
OGF OCCI API specification", not a version number. Therefore, I've
always assumed each version of OpenNebula simply updated the OCCI server
to use the latest version of the draft specification.

Furthermore, the OCCI Working Group is a little vague about the current
version of the specification. On their Specification page, they only
list the latest version of their documents, as indicated by their GFD
numbers. It was only a blog post which allowed me to realize that GFD
185 is actually OCCI 1.1.

DISCLAIMER: I don't speak for Libcloud's wonderful community. I speak
only for myself, and only based on my experience to date based on my
work with the greater Libcloud community.

From the Libcloud perspective, we target only one interface of the
OpenNebula toolkit, it's OCCI interface. However, we treat that
interface as an OpenNebula-specific interface, and not as a generic
interface specification for interacting with arbitrary cloud providers.
Therefore, the OCCI specification, as implemented by OpenNebula, is
packaged as an OpenNebula driver within Libcloud.

As for your specific question, we do not target the OCCI 1.0
specification, as denoted by the OCCI Working Group. The reason we do
not target OCCI 1.0 is because OpenNebula does not have a consistent
implementation of the OCCI specification across versions. Rather
OpenNebula 1.4 and OpenNebula 2.0+ use the same semantics to describe
networks but different semantics to describe compute nodes. Therefore,
the OpenNebula driver had to be written per OpenNebula version and not
per OCCI version.

It would be wonderful in the future if Libcloud could support an OCCI
driver built to a solid specification for use by OpenNebula, ..., and
other cloud providers. If you would like to work on a joint effort to
support an OCCI 1.1 specification-derived OpenNebula interface, and
OCCI-derived Libcloud driver, I would be happy to participate.

--
Hutson Betts
Computer Science and Engineering

On Sun, 2011-11-13 at 13:25 +0000, florian.feldhaus at tu-dortmund.de