[one-dev] proof of concept implementation of EXTERNAL leases

Steven Armstrong steven-opennebula at armstrong.cc
Mon Jan 20 04:09:49 PST 2014

Ruben S. Montero wrote on 01/19/2014 10:51 PM:

Hi Ruben

> OK, Let's go for #2545. I think we have the hook points (VM CREATE/DELETE)
> that's where the network MAC-IPs are leased/released.

Awesome! I probably wont be of much help coding (/me does not speak
c++), but will definitely help elsewhere if I can (test, docs,
whatever). If you need anything in shell or python let me know, those
are my languages.

> We'll need also a way to update the IP assigned by the external network
> component (DHCP). This could be either a XML-RPC method (e.g. update or
> similar) or through the monitoring system (e.g. probably looking at the
> ARP's of the host)

May be nice, but is it really needed? Assuming you just want this data
for contextualization I don't think so.

If a network is configured so that ONE manages L2 and L3 it already
knows the IP.

If a network is configured so that only L2 is managed, the user/vm does
not expect contextualization infos regarding L3 networking. He already
has that from dhcp or wherever, or at least he knows that ONE does not
have this info.

Cheers,
Steven