[one-dev] Megam - Cloud orchestrator for OpenNebula

Javier Fontan jfontan at opennebula.org
Mon Apr 28 08:41:27 PDT 2014

Hi Thomas,

I need some answers before creating the repository.

* I see a big project and one smaller: the full cloud orchestrator and
the chef plugin for OpenNebula. Do you want to have one repository for
everything or one for the chef plugin? It may seem cumbersome to have
several repositories but in the long run there could be people just
interested in the chef plugin that just uses and/or contributes to it.

* Which is going the be the name of the repository? You can take a
look at the addons already in the github organization [1].

* A short description of the repository. This is what people will see
when listing repos in the OpenNebula organization and the addons
table. You will be able to change it later so it can be a provisional
description.

* A GitHub user or users that will be able to commit and administrate
the repository.

I am sure this project is interesting to some of our users and I
invite you all to to give your ideas.

Thank you Thomas!

[1] https://github.com/OpenNebula

On Mon, Apr 28, 2014 at 8:59 AM, Thomas Alrin <alrin at megam.co.in> wrote:
> Dear all,
>     We are proposing Megam - Cloud orchestrator for OpenNebula. Megam
> leverages system configuration framework (Chef http://opscode.com) to
> implement an orchestration engine to launch multiple composite cloud
> application based on templates that are written using ruby code. The
> templates are versioned and can be adopted to every vDC in Opennebula.
>
> Our Roadmap.
>
> Opennebula offers basic Cloud management including an intuitive self-service
> interface. It is focused on the level of Infrastructure as a Service.
>
> Chef is DevOps software which can interface to OpenNebula and adds several
> features such as lifecycle management for virtual machine images and the
> possibility to deploy standardized middleware and applications. These
> standardized software components provide platform services to the
> application components built on top of them.
>
> Our proposal is to have Megam provide cloud orchestration for OpenNebula
> based on open standards like
> TOSCA(http://docs.oasis-open.org/tosca/TOSCA/v1.0/os/TOSCA-v1.0-os.html).
> Megam already provides ability to launch app/services today.  The design
> specifics for TOSCA will be released shortly.
>
> As a first step we are building a  chef plugin to OpenNebula, which can
> stand up instances in OpenNebula using its templates.
>
> Using this knife plugin for OpenNebula, an user can do the following,
>
> * List the templates which are already created in OpenNebula.
>
> * List the VMs which are already created either in OpenNebula or from the
> knife plugin.
>
> * Create a VM by instantiating the OpenNebula template. Chef bootstraps the
> VM and applies a role.
>
> Anxious to hear the communities feedback. Feel free to reach out to us
> (alrin at megam.co.in)
>
> --
> With Warm Regards,
> Thomas Alrin,