[one-dev] Introductory tasks for new OpenNebula hackers

Javier Fontan jfontan at opennebula.org
Mon Oct 28 05:12:26 PDT 2013

Hi,

Right now we have a contribution guide [1] that addresses some of the
points here but certainly not all. For example, the documentation is
not modificable by people external to the team and the only way is
sending emails with the changes.

We hope we can improve the situation of this with the movement of some
components to its own repositories.

Concerning the categorisation of "easy" tickets we may add a new label
to the tickets where we can mark them as such and a link to a redmine
search where they are shown. What do you think about it?

For feature tickets we have three different types and are described in
the contribution guide:

* Request
* Backlog issues are long-medium term roadmap features to be
implemented in OpenNebula.
* Feature issues are short term features roadmap features.

I think the ideas you had could be implemented with this.

Cheers

[1] http://opennebula.org/community:contribute

On Sat, Oct 26, 2013 at 1:50 PM, Daniel Dehennin
<daniel.dehennin at baby-gnu.org> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm a small newcommer as OpenNebula user:
>
> * 2 nodes at work
> * 1 at home
>
> and I'm completely incompetent as OpenNebula hacker and I want to
> change that :-D
>
> I saw a great idea[1] from GNUnet[2]:
>
>     “Provide a list of easy tasks for OpenNebula aspirant hacker”
>
> This way, people can learn:
>
> - the code itself and how it's articulated
>
> - the process of having patches integrated (quality, documentation,
>   etc.)
>
> - how to interact with OpenNebula community
>
> The OpenNebula community can see some low priority tasks done without
> disturbing too much the core developers.
>
> To bootstrap this process, I identified several things which could be
> done:
>
> - Add a new redmine tracker to clearly identify tasks, they can be moved
>   to other trackers depending on needs (funding, becoming important
>   enough to wait volunteers, etc.)

> - Identifying easy tasks and put them in corresponding tracker, maybe
>   adding some hints to help identifying where to start
>
> Another point could be to describe how to setup a good development
> environment and practices.
>
> This could increase the quality of contributions if people can setup
> some test bed and get through a “checklist before submit”.
>
> What do you think about this?
>
> Regards.
>
> Footnotes:
> [1]  https://gnunet.org/introductory-tasks
>
> [2]  sure others are doing the same ;-)
>
> --
> Daniel Dehennin
> Récupérer ma clef GPG:
> gpg --keyserver pgp.mit.edu --recv-keys 0x7A6FE2DF

Javier Fontán Muiños
Developer
www.OpenNebula.org | @OpenNebula | github.com/jfontan