[one-dev] Installing addons

Javier Fontan jfontan at opennebula.org
Tue Oct 29 07:59:10 PDT 2013

Hello,

Now that we have a place where to work on new packages I think it is a
good time to find a way to install them. There are several ways we can
use to do so, like:

* Stating in the documentation which files goes to what paths.
* Adding a script that installs the files.
* Creating packages for distributions that can be installed on top of
OpenNebula.

As a long term solution I don't think that the documentation way is a
solution. For a 2/3 files addon this may be maintainable but it will
make upgrades an automation a pain in the ass.

Creating packages seems like a great solution from a user stand point
but will raise the bar of requirements for people that wants to
contribute as they may need to learn how to make them.

My proposal is to create a addon management tool that does this for
us. The idea is to have a manifest in all the addons with its
description, the OpenNebula version needed for the addon, external
dependencies and the list of files that need to be installed. The tool
will check that file, test the OpenNebula version installed, install
needed dependencies and copy the files in its place.

What do you think about it? Is it too reinvent-the-wheel? Do you know
of an already made tool to do this?

The tool could have some other features like addon discovery, upgrade
and such but I would start with just the needed features to install
the addons.

Javier Fontán Muiños
Developer
www.OpenNebula.org | @OpenNebula | github.com/jfontan