[one-dev] OpenNebula LXC Addon

Valentin Bud valentin at databus.pro
Thu Nov 7 14:08:10 PST 2013

Hello everyone,

I have a working PoC for an LXC addon and quite a few questions on
how to proceed further.

In the actual state the driver has the following limitations:

  * It only works with the LVM datastore,

  * Couldn't find a way to transform user/system CPU time in percentage
    so the poll action returns 1 (hardcoded) for USEDCPU.

For now the VMM driver responds to the following actions:

  * deploy
  * shutdown
  * cancel
  * reset
  * reboot
  * poll

I have used the lxc tools to manipulate containers and some
functionalities are not yet available. For example the reboot and reset
actions basically do stop/start. And the shutdown one doesn't do a clean
shutdown.

I have developed the drivers to work on Debian Wheezy. Among the lxc
tools there is lxc-attach, which runs a command inside the container.

Unfortunately the stable kernel doesn't support that but the
experimental one does. See Debian bug #595920 [1].

Using lxc-attach, the shutdown operation could be executed cleanly. I am
about to test the experimental kernel, 3.8, in the near future. I am
also thinking of using lxc-attach for contextualization.

I have quite a few questions about how to continue and some notes
about the template passed to the vmm driver.

If your offer, Jaime, of doing a Hangout is still available I would like
to discuss them over there. After that we could write a report back to
the mailing list for people who couldn't attend. What do you think about
this?

The next step I am going to do is to implement the same functionalities
using libvirt.

> Anyway, I am certainly in favor of docker as a private PaaS on top of OpenNebula...

Carlo, I am trying to understand how these two would fit together.
OpenNebula would deal with setting up storage, network and CPU/RAM
resources for dockers? I would really appreciate it if you could be a
little bit more specific.

[1]: http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=595920

Cheers and Goodwill,
Valentin