[one-users] VMM 'unknown' state not being set?

Carlos Martín Sánchez cmartin at opennebula.org
Wed Feb 25 08:04:09 PST 2015

Hi,

On Fri, Feb 20, 2015 at 1:15 PM, Andy Coates <andy.coates at gmail.com> wrote:

> We tried 'p' but it means we can't cancel the VM.  We have to resume the
> VM just to stop it, and then cancel it.
>
> Feels like we're going about something the wrong way if we're unable to
> monitor a VM's state to show it stopped, and thus cancel/clean up the VM.

Maybe the problem is with the nomenclature.

You said you wanted to report the VM is stopped. To OpenNebula that means
that the VM disks and the memory state have been saved back to the system
datastore, plus the networking is cleaned up, etc. That's something that
the VM can't do by itself, so we don't consider the option to report that
from the poll info.

If by stopped you mean that the VM was shut down, then the drivers can
report 'd', and the core will move it to the poweroff state.
In any case, a VM in the suspended or poweroff states can be deleted
without having to resume it first.

At least that's how it works for 4.10, it may be a bit different in 4.6.

Regards
--
Carlos Martín, MSc
www.OpenNebula.org <http://www.opennebula.org/> | cmartin at opennebula.org |