[one-users] Clone images in datastore /w TM_MAD=qcow2

Ruben S. Montero rsmontero at opennebula.org
Mon Feb 23 13:47:20 PST 2015

Hi Dimitri,

We are moving the community to the new forum by the end of the week [1].
This last week things are getting even worse with the hosting company...
seems a good time to move on ;)

Anyway  there are two drivers DS and TM. QoW is used for TM when a
persistent image (or master/golden) is cloned to fire a new VM. The
original image is moved to used state and so it won't be deleted.

On the other hand, a DS clone operation creates a completely (read
independent from) the original image. Using QoW for this would be faster,
but we will need more logic to flatten the snapshots when the original is
deleted, and potentially we will end up with multiple snapshot layers that
will degrade performance.

Cheers

Ruben

[1] http://opennebula.org/new-opennebula-community-forum/