[one-users] integration with existing vmware environment

Luca Uburti luburti at ricca-it.com
Mon Sep 1 01:44:37 PDT 2014

Hello,
this will probably be a beginner/conceptual email

I am following the Centos_Vmware quickstart document
(http://docs.opennebula.org/4.8/design_and_installation/quick_starts/qs_centos_vmware.html)

My end goal is to integrate Opennebula into an existing Vmware cluster
(a few esxi hosts + 1 fiber channel shared storage), with as little
impact to the Vmware infrastructure as possible as this is a production
environment, but I'm seeing configuration steps I need to make which
make me a little uncomfortable as I'll explain in a moment

The Datastores part:
I see Opennebula needs to access two datastores: system and images.
In the quickstart the Opennebula server is configured to export two NFS
shares, which doesn't seem like a great idea since I guess a simple
reboot of the front end would probably cause all Opennebula VMs to die.
So I read this:
http://docs.opennebula.org/4.8/administration/storage/vmware_ds.html and
read:

  * The ESX servers needs to present or mount (as iSCSI, NFS or local
    storage) both the|system|datastore and the|image|datastore (naming
    them with just the <datastore-id>, for instance|0|for
    the|system|datastore and|1|for the|image|datastore).

Questions: do I have to create two brand new separate datastores? Can't
I use existing datastores I already have in place? I see iSCSI, NFS...
but no mention of Fiber channel, is FC supported? Will anything already
on the datastore risk being overwritten?

The ESXi part:
In the quickstart I see I need to copy the oneadmin ssh keys to the esxi
servers so that no password is prompted, then I also have to hack into
the esxi firewall service to allow VNC, then to enable dynamic network
mode I will again need to make manual adjustments inside the Esxi (chmod
+s /sbin/esxcfg-vswitch)
Then I also found this (somewhat old) link stating that manual
modifications don't persist after a reboot:
http://www.virtuallyghetto.com/2011/08/how-to-persist-configuration-changes-in.html

Question: Isn't there a cleaner alternative to having to manually edit
files and stuff inside the Esxi server for everything to work? Is the
non persistent configuration changes still a problem?

Thank you
Luca