[one-users] VM stuck - what to do?

Carlos Martín Sánchez cmartin at opennebula.org
Fri Oct 24 09:09:10 PDT 2014

Hi,

On Tue, Oct 14, 2014 at 8:25 PM, ML mail <mlnospam at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I have a VM which is in the following state in Sunstone:
>
> State     ACTIVE
> LCM State     SHUTDOWN
>

> I can't reach it through IP so it must be somehow stuck but the problem is
> that Sunstone does not allow me to boot or reboot it. I always get the
> following error message:
>
> [VirtualMachineAction] Wrong state to perform action "resume"
> [VirtualMachineAction] Wrong state to perform action "reboot-hard"
> etc...
>
> What can I do to get this VM back up and running?
>
> Thanks!
> ML

A VM in the shutdown state [1] is waiting for the guest to respond to the
acpi signal. After the guest disappears from the hypervisor, OpenNebula
destroys the VM (it's moved to 'done' state). The VM may become stuck in
this state if oned was restarted.

Unfortunately, a VM in this state cannot be recovered. You can only force
its deletion with 'onevm delete'

Regards

[1]
http://docs.opennebula.org/4.8/user/virtual_resource_management/vm_guide_2.html#virtual-machine-life-cycle