[one-users] FREEMEMORY as RANK variable

Carlos Martín Sánchez cmartin at opennebula.org
Fri Oct 24 07:40:50 PDT 2014

Hi Steven,

On Sat, Oct 11, 2014 at 6:05 AM, Steven C Timm <timm at fnal.gov> wrote:

>  During most of the time we have been running OpenNebula 2 and 3 we have
> been using a
> rank based on FREEMEMORY.  We are now doing tests using OpenNebula 4.8, in
> a use case
> where we are filling up an empty cloud.  FREEMEMORY still in theory should
> be an accurate value

FREEMEMORY hasn't been a Host attribute for a few versions. I can't
remember exactly when it was removed, but it is not part of the host now.

The predefined variables you can use in the rank or requirements are [1]:

NAME
MAX_CPU
MAX_MEM
FREE_MEM
FREE_CPU
USED_MEM
USED_CPU
HYPERVISOR

By the way, I see this list is buried too deep in the docs, so I'll try to
move it to a new section and explain each attribute.

> but the problem is that 6-7 VM's are typically being launched on every
> SCHED cycle and so a
> node that starts out with all of its memory free will end up full of
> virtual machines in a single cycle.
>
>  Once we got to a full cloud and steady-state it would be fine but when
> you have 8 VM's
> starting at once on an old 8-core node, it takes much longer than it
> otherwise would.
>
>  Any cheap suggestions to get the default scheduler to do a more
> horizontal fill?
>
>  Steve Timm

In /etc/one/sched.conf [2] you can set MAX_HOST to 1. This forces the
scheduler to launch one VM to each host per cycle. Combined with the
SCHED_INTERVAL, you can configure a slower deployment rate.

Best regards,
Carlos.

[1]
http://docs.opennebula.org/4.8/user/references/template.html#requirement-expression-syntax