[one-users] econe-run-instances idempotent?

Parag Mhashilkar parag at fnal.gov
Wed Oct 15 09:18:43 PDT 2014

Hi Daniel,

Let me rephrase what we meant.

As Steve mentioned in one of his emails, we use HTCondor to launch VMs. There is always a possibility that something can go wrong after a run-instance command is issued and before the ec2 server gets back to you with a valid instance id or an error message. Note that in this case the server may serve the request, but there is no way for the client to know the exact instance name that resulted from the request. Life is much easier if the client crashes after it gets back the instance name.

One way for the client to know the exact status of the request even after a crash (and before it gets the instance id) is to assign a unique identifier of its own like a tag name or something. This way client will never lose track of the request and result in the leaked VMs.

The way HTCondor is implementing this is by creating a new key pair and giving it a unique name and tracking the requests based on the key pair. But then we are hit by other limit ~300 that we observed.

Ideally, we would like to use the --keypair option and use the existing pre registered key. But than we cannot track the results of the create-instance in case something goes wrong before the instance id is issued.

Thanks & Regards