[one-users] econe server "connection reset by peer"

Steven C Timm timm at fnal.gov
Fri Oct 10 18:58:45 PDT 2014

We have been doing bulk tests of the OpenNebula 4.8 econe-server.
With just a straight econe-run-instances we can get up to 1000 VM's (the limit of our current subnet)
started fairly quickly (about 30 minutes)

But in practice we are using a more complicated sequence of EC2 calls via HTCondor.
In particular it is doing a CreateKeyPair call before it launches each VM and then
calling the RunInstances method with the --keypair option, a unique keypair for each VM.
After the VM exits, it called a DeleteKeyPair call.

IT appears there is a hard limit of the number of key pairs that can be stored in
any one user's template and that hard limit is 301.  Any further CreateKeyPair calls
return with "connection reset by peer" causing HTCondor to mark the VM as held.
Fortunately it is possible to override this and tell HTCondor to continue, but it's a pain.
We do have ways to log into the vm's without the ssh key pair so we wouldn't even really need to register
them at all.

Is my analysis correct?  Is there a hard limit of the number of keys that can be stored in the user template?
If so, how best to get around this limit?

Steve Timm