[one-users] portability

Ruben S. Montero rsmontero at opennebula.org
Fri Oct 10 08:14:28 PDT 2014

Hi Cyrill,

Usually our approach is not to migrate images between providers. In the
medium term it is a nightmare, multiple versions of the same image spread
across different clouds, it is very difficult to distributed patches and
image updates, and the cost of moving things in/out increases.

Our recommendation is to use vanilla OS installs plus a configuration
management software of your choice (ansible, chef, puppet...), this way you
just need to maintain a single receipt rather than multiple installations.

If you need to import an image, you could follow any procedure target for
your base hypervisor (if any).

Cheers

Ruben

On Fri, Oct 10, 2014 at 1:10 PM, <info at cyle.ch> wrote:

> Dear OpenNebula Community
>
> I understand that there is no live migration functionality to public cloud
> vendors available.
> But what’s about manual migration or portability of virtual machines? Is
> there a way to migrate virtual machines to or from opennebula?
> We are interested to migrate images from ec2, softlayer, azure and
> Rackspace.
>
> -Cyrill

Ruben S. Montero, PhD
Project co-Lead and Chief Architect