[one-users] attach persistent empty disk

Carlos Martín Sánchez cmartin at opennebula.org
Wed Nov 26 07:40:07 PST 2014

Hi,

On Thu, Nov 20, 2014 at 11:02 AM, Olivier Sallou <olivier.sallou at irisa.fr>
wrote:

> Hi,
> I wonder how in OpenNebula we can create an empty disk on-the-fly,
> attach it to a VM (up to here, this is fine), then detach the disk and
> save it for later reuse.
>
> I could not found a way to do so.
>
> Persistency seems more image related, not "hot disks". But users cannot
> create images so easily (a few clicks in sunstone), they need to create
> the disk, declare it with templates etc... Would be fine to be allowed
> to save the hot disk as an image or to be able to save it and replug it
> later on.
>
> Olivier

Right now the only way to do that is creating a new empty datablock image,
and attaching that image instead of a volatile disk. The image can be
persistent, or it can be saved to a new one with a deferred disk snapshot.

Please open a feature request for volatile disk persistence and we will
consider it for future releases.

Best regards

--
Carlos Martín, MSc